The Framing Effect is a cognitive bias that occurs when people make decisions based on the way information is presented to them.
The Framing Effect can have a significant impact on people's actions and judgments. It occurs when people interpret the same information differently depending on how it is presented to them. For example, imagine you are considering buying a new car. The salesperson tells you that the car gets excellent gas mileage.
However, they do not mention that the car is a little more expensive than other models. You might be more likely to buy the car because of its good gas mileage. However, if the salesperson had told you about the higher price first, you might have been less likely to buy it.
The Framing Effect is often used in advertising and political campaigns. For example, a politician might say that they will "create jobs" if elected. However, they do not mention that they will also raise taxes. The way the information is presented (or "framed") can influence people's decisions.
The Framing Effect can have a significant impact on people's lives. For example, imagine you are considering whether or not to have surgery. The doctor tells you that there is a 90% chance of the surgery being successful. However, they do not mention that there is a 10% chance of complications. You might be more likely to have the surgery if you only consider the success rate. However, if you consider both the success rate and the complication rate, you might be less likely to have the surgery.
The Framing Effect can be a powerful influence on people's decisions. It is important to be aware of this bias and how it can impact your decisions. When you are considering a decision, try to think about all of the possible outcomes, not just the most favorable one. This will help you make more informed decisions.
This content was generated with AI. If you want to learn with fellow humans, join the Ness Labs learning community.